Monday, November 23, 2009

Paging Dr. Dad



One of the coolest things about being a parent is learning that you can do things that you previously thought you could never do. Case in point - surgery. Someone at our house has an obsession with fishing and fishing tackle. He found my tackle box, cut the lock out and dumped it all over our dark carpet. We thought we had gotten it all, but Kylee found a barbed hook that we missed.
Before performing surgery I spent a couple of quiet minutes in the bathroom. I wasn't using the facilities. I was looking for a quiet place to panic by myself for a minute. I couldn't let Kylee see how nervous I was. With a little help from my trusty Blackberry I was able to confirm the best way for removal. After some Tylenol and ice to take the edge off the pain Kylee was ready to brave the attempt. I wasn't quite as prepared.
It took some serious pulling to get the hook to pull through the skin. I know it must have hurt like crazy, but Kylee was a perfect patient. She was able to hold still and not panic and hardly cried. After several minutes of pulling (and commentary from the gallery ranging from "Cool" to "Oooh gross. Kylee's blooding.") the hook pulled through and I was able to clip it off. Now you would never know it was even there. Appendectomy anyone?

No comments: